Why Would I use LAMS?
There are many key benefits on why using LAMS, here are just a few:
- LAMS provides a highly intuitive visual authoring environment for creating sequences of learning activities. Evaluation reports on the use of LAMS report that teachers find LAMS easy to use and that LAMS also helps them reflect more deeply on their teaching practice.
- Students love LAMS! Evaluation reports consistently note that students find LAMS and ICT very motivating
- LAMS fosters greater student engagement - in one evaluation, only 16% of students were willing to discuss ideas in the classroom, however, via the collaboration facility within LAMS, over 83% were willing to discuss their ideas.
- LAMS incorporates single learner content (such as Learning Objects) as well as collaborative tasks such as discussion, voting and debate.
- LAMS allows educators to capture, share and adapt digital lesson plans based on "best practice processes".
- LAMS provides rich, real-time student monitoring and tracking facilities.
- LAMS is integrated with Learning Management Systems such as Moodle, Sakai,.LRN, Blackboard and WebCT.
- LAMS runs through all major web browsers. The LAMS server software runs on all major server platforms.
- LAMS is open source software licensed under the General Public License v2. So no license fees, ever.
- LAMS supports educational specifications such as IMS Content Packaging, IMS Metadata, IMS Learning Design.
- LAMS has a large community of teachers, educators and technical developers that share LAMS best-practices and designs as well as foster future version of the system.
- LAMS has commercial support with a company that provide services around its platform. So if you don't have technical or educational expertise, a service company can provide them.
- LAMS aims to be a well documented project, on the technical side as well as the educationally.
What's New in LAMS 2.3?
For more information on the new features in LAMS 2.3, check out the 2.3 Feature List.
- Support Activities provides additional 'floating' activities that are outside the normal sequence flow.
- Instant Messaging allows learners to chat with each other during a sequence.
- The Gradebook provides a central place to view learner results. This data can be exported into other software. Any activity can now provide data to the Gradebook.
- Additional features added to the fckEditor including a painting plugin and LaTeX Equations.
- Pixlr - Pixlr is an online image editing suite which allows learners to edit images in a Photoshop-like environment from within their browser.
- Mindmap - The new Mindmap tool provides a collaborative space for learners to explore concepts and ideas.
- Video Recorder - The Video Recorder allows Authors and Monitors to leave recorded instructions for Learners in any activity using a Webcam.
The Video Recorder activity allows Learners to upload their own webcam videos for comment and review.
- Image Gallery - This tool provides a space for learners to upload, comment and rate images.
- Assessment - The Assessment tool provides a way to deliver highly flexible and customised Assessment tasks to Learners. The marks for the assessment can be exported to the new Gradebook feature.
- New Simplified "Add Lesson Wizard" - add a lesson in only 3 clicks!
- Considerable performance improvement, *improving response time by 375%!
LAMS will now operate on small form factor devices such as Netbooks.
- Support for newer browsers such as Google Chrome and Safari 4.
- Localised Date and Time - all dates and times are now displayed according to the Time Zone set in each user's Profile.
- FCKEditor Upgrade - LAMS now uses FCK 2.6.4, resulting in much faster performance.