This tool allows teachers to add content into a sequence, such as URL hyperlinks, zipped websites, individual files (Adobe PDF's, Powerpoints, Flash Files) and even complete learning objects. The tool can also be set to allow teachers and/or learners to add content to the activity at "run-time" (i.e., during a sequence session.)
... and Forum
The Share Resources and Forum Activity combines a Share Resources Activity with a Forum Activity which allows Learners to create Forum postings based on resources by provided by the sequence author, or from resources that they add to the activity themselves.
When used in small group mode, the tool creates parallel Forum and Scribe areas for each small group, and then shows the outcome of each group collated on a whole class page.
Authoring Share Resources
All properties sheets contain two tabs:
- Basic: Which controls the Content of the Activity.
- Advanced: Which controls the Behaviour of the Activity.
Click to magnify thumbnail
The Basic Tab for the Chat Activity allows you to specify a title for the activity, and give learners a set of instructions for completing the activity:
- Title: All Activities have a web page title which is presented at the top of the activity page when displayed in the Learning Environment. This is NOT the same title as the Title that can be set using the Properties Inspector.
- Instructions: All Activities have a text area that is presented beneath the title. This is where the main activity text to be displayed to learners is entered. The text can be formatted using the Rich-Text Editor. Image, Video, Audio and URL content can also be displayed in the Instructions area.
- Specific Features: Resource List. The Resource List shows the list of attached resources available to learners.
- Add URL:
- A URL, or Uniform Resource Locator, is the address of a specific resource on the internet or a network.
- The URL can be given a title, followed by the actual URL of the resource, which does not appear to Learners.
- The author can choose to allow the URL to open in a pop-up window, which removes the LAMS frame (and any learner instructions) from around the resource. This feature is primarily used for websites that do not allow themselves to be displayed within the frame of a different website or program, e.g. Wikipedia.
- The author can Add Instructionsin the Instructions boxes for the Learners to follow (e.g. Read the first three paragraphs of this online article). Instructions can be moved up and down the list by using the direction arrows on the right hand side. Instructions can also be deleted by clicking on the cross symbol, also to the right. NB: If there is no text in a box then learners will only be presented with the Finished button at the top of the screen.
- When the URL and instructions have been entered into the correct fields, then "+Add URL" must be clicked to add the new URL to the list of resources. *"Verify URL"*will appear next to the resource. Clicking this button will open a pop-up screen to load the URL entered above - this allows the teacher to verify that the URL is correct before running the sequence.
- Add Single File:
- A Single File can be added to the activity, for either viewing or download.
- A Title can be given to the resource, which will be viewable to the Learner.
- The File name is generated by LAMS after a user has selected and imported a File from their desktop using the "Browse" button. Users should not change this filename. The file can be any type (a
PDF, a Word document, PowerPoint presentation, etc). Learners will need access to the appropriate software to view the file.
- Instructions can be added (as described for Add URL above) and then "+Add Single File" must be clicked to add the file to the list of resources. Preview will appear next to the resource, and allows the author to check that the file is displaying correctly.
- Add Zipped Website:
- Using this feature allows Authors to share their own websites with Learners in a sequence.
- Web page authoring tools such as FrontPage and Dreamweaver can be used to create Shared Websites.
- Clicking "+Add Shared Website" will add the resource to the resource list. A *"Preview"*link will then appear which opens a pop-up screen to load the Shared Website (i.e., it loads index.htm) - this allows the teacher to view the Shared Website before running the sequence to check that all assets and related pages appear correctly.
The website must be saved in a self-contained .ZIP file, containing all HTML pages and related assets, as well as a page named index.htm in the root folder of the .ZIP file.
Creating a Zipped Website
When creating the .ZIP file from your website, double-check that you are only zipping the seperate files of the website, rather than the containing folder. When you open the .ZIP file, the index.htm page should be contained in the root of the ZIP, not inside another folder.
- Add Learning Object:
- IMS Learning Objects can be added in the form of a .ZIP file, in much the same way as a Single File Resource is added. (See Above.)
- "+Add Learning Object" must be clicked to add the Object to the resource list. A "Preview" link will then appear next to the resource, which allows the Author to view the Learning Object before running the sequence.
- To Edit an existing resource, click the corresponding Yellow Pencil.
- To Delete an existing resource, click the corresponding Red Cross.
- To change the order in which resources are listed, use the Green Arrows to move resources up or down.
- Add URL:
Click to magnify thumbnail.
- Lock When Finished: This option is available on all Activities.
- Enabling this option in Share Resourceswill only have an effect if Learners are permitted to add their own resources to the activity. If enabled, Learners will not be able to add new resources after they have clicked "Finished" on the activity, but will be able to view the activity through the Progress Bar in the Learning Environment.
- Specific Features
- Run Content Automatically: When enabled, this option will take Learners directly to the resource screen, bypassing the Share Resources Activity page. Note that when this option is enabled, the activity will not display any general instructions to Learners, nor will Learners be able to add their own resources to the activity.
- Minimum Number of Resources to view: This option allows Authors to specify a minimum number of resources that must be viewed by Learners before they move on to the next Activity. Completion of viewing is recorded when the Learner clicks the "Finished" button on the top right of the resource pop-up page (opened when the learner clicks the "View" button on the main Share Resources learner page), or if this button is not viewable (due to a website that opens its own window), by clicking the "Completed" button on the main learner page (next to the "View" button). NB: "Minimum to complete" only applies to resources added by the teacher during authoring (not any additional resources added via the file and/or Web page Option at run-time).
- Allow Learners to Add Files/URLs: When either of these options are enabled, they allow learners to contribute URLs or individual files during the "running" of a sequence session, rather than just by teachers loading resources at "authoring" time (items are added by learners via the Resources tool in the Learner interface). Teachers can also add files and/or Web pages at run-time (items are added via the Share resources tool in the Sequence tab of the Monitoring environment).
- Notify Monitoring Teachers...: this option when enabled will send an email to any sequence Monitors whenever a Learner submits a file to the activity. (This option requires entering email server details in LAMS Configuration. If this option does not work, contact your System Administrator.)
- Add Notebook... : This option is available on all Activities. Enabling this option creates a Notebook as part of the Activity, which Learner's can use to reflect on the activity just completed. The reflections are personal (ie: not shared with other learners).
Monitoring Share Resources
View of the Share Resources Monitoring Summary tab.
The Summary Tab
for Submit Files allows Monitors to view the list of resources for the Activity.
If Learners have been allowed to attach their own resources to the activity, these will also be displayed along with the Username of the Learner who added the resource.
For each resource, the Monitor can choose to "Hide" the link, which is useful if a link is found to be broken, or if a learner suggests an inappropriate resource.
The Monitor can view the resources in the activity by clicking on the Green Hyperlinked title on the Summary tab.
Clicking the Edit Activity button opens a new screen identical to the _'Basic'_tab in the authoring environment. In the current version of LAMS (2.5), Editing can only be performed on activities that students have not yet reached.
Unlike Live Edit, this form of Editing can only modify the content of an activity, as opposed to the structure of a sequence.
View of the Share Resources Monitoring Statistics tab.
In the current version of LAMS, the Summary screen for Share Resources duplicates the Learner numbers seen on the Summary tab.