The Submit Files Activity allows learners to submit one or more files to the LAMS server for review by a teacher. The teacher can then input grades into the system based on these files, which can then be viewed by the learners.
The tool also provides additional features to assist teachers with the marking process. These are available in the Monitoring Environment once a submission has been uploaded. This is further described in Monitoring below.
Submit Files Activity Authoring
All properties sheets contain three tabs:
- The Basic tab controls the content of the activity.
- The Advanced tab controls how the activity behaves.
- The Instructions tab allows authors to comment on the activity itself.
- An additional Conditions tab is visible where the activity allows Authors to customise the activity outputs for branching or grouping operations.
Basic tab for the Submit Files Activity
View of the Submit Files Activity Basic tab.
There are two features on the basic tab common to all activities:
- Title: All Activities have a web page title which is presented at the top of the activity page when displayed in the Learning Environment. This is NOT the same title as the Title that can be set using the Properties Inspector.
- Instructions: All Activities have a text area that is presented beneath the title. This is where the main activity text to be displayed to learners is entered. The text can be formatted using the Rich-Text Editor. Image, Video, Audio and URL content can also be displayed in the Instructions area.
Advanced tab for the Submit Files Activity
View of the Submit Files Activity Advanced tab.
- Lock When Finished: The Submit Files activity automatically locks when the group report is submitted.
This cannot be disabled.
- Add Notebook... : This option is available on all Activities. Enabling this option on Submit Files prevents learners from adding more files to the activity. Once Learners click 'Finish', the activity is marked as Read Only for that learner.
Learners can still return to the activity using the progress bar to view their uploaded files.
Advanced Features Specific to the Submit Files Activity
- Limit Number of Files…: This is a specific option for the Submit Files activity. By enabling this option, you can specify the maximum number of individual files that Learners are permitted to add to the activity. You can specify a limit from 1 to 5.
- Notify learners when marks are released: When enabled, this option will send an email to learners when a monitor clicks "Release Marks". ((!)This option requires entering email server details in LAMS Configuration. If this option does not work, contact your System Administrator.)
The email format is:
- Notify monitoring teachers when a learner submits a File: Similar to the above, this option when enabled will send an email to any sequence Monitors whenever a Learner submits a file to the activity. ( See the above note on LAMS Configuration)
View of the Instructions tab. This is the same for all activities.
The Instructions tab contains the same features for all Activities.
It allows the Author to create specific instructions for the activity, as well as upload files that may be useful for running the activity (ie: support documents, etc.). It is a resource that can be used by teachers who are running the sequence for their learners. (In the Monitoring Environment, the Instructions for an Activity can be viewed by double clicking the activity on the Sequence tab and then selecting the Instructions tab.
The instructions can be retrieved by other authors who open the activity, or by monitors running the sequence.
There are two types of Instruction possible, Offline and Online, depending on the mode that the teacher wishes to run the activity. The feature is useful for teachers who are sharing sequences with their colleagues as it provides an area where the Author can deSubmit Files any learning objectives and/or the specific purpose of the activity.
Branching Conditions for Submit Files
At this time, there are no output conditions for the Submit Files activity.
Monitoring Submit Files
View of the Submit Files Monitoring Summary tab.
Double Clicking a Submit Files activity on the Sequence tab opens the Summary Screen for the Activity.
The Summary Screen for Submit Files shows the names of the Learners who have uploaded files to the activity, and provides an interface for monitors to assign marks to Learner contributions.
- Mark: Clicking this button allows the Monitor to download or view the Learner submissions and assign a numerical mark for that particular submission.
- View All Marks: This allows the monitor to view all of the marks assigned for each Learner submission. From this screen, the Monitor can also view/download submissions from learners and change the allocated marks.
- Release Marks: The monitor must choose this option in order to allow Learners to view their marks in the Learning environment.
- Download Marks: All marks created through the "Update Marks" tool can be downloaded in Spreadsheet (Excel) format.
View All Marks
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
View of the Chat Monitoring Instructions tab.
In the Authoring Environment, Authors can use the Instructions Space to attach support files for a specific activity, or leave comments for othe Monitors about how a given activity should be run.
In Submit Files, the Author may suggest instructions for submitting files offline (e.g. a hand written or printed essay) if learners aqnd teachers are more comfortable with that format.
Clicking the Edit Activity button opens a new screen identical to the _'Basic'_tab in the authoring environment. In the current version of LAMS (2.0.4), Editing can only be performed on activities that students have not yet reached.
Unlike Live Edit, this form of Editing can only modify the content of an activity, as opposed to the structure of a sequence.
The Submit Files Summary tab contains information on:
- the number of files that have been marked
- the number of files that have not been marked
- the total number of files uploaded by learners