Multiple Choice Authoring
Translators please note: This page is now outdated. View the latest version here.
All properties sheets contain three tabs:
- Basic: Which controls the Content of the Activity.
- Advanced: Which controls the Behaviour of the Activity.
- Instructions: Provides information on the structure of the activity.
The Multiple Choice tool supports branching based on conditions.
View of the Multiple Choice Monitoring Basic tab.
The Basic Tab for the Multiple Choice Activity allows you to specify a title for the activity, give learners a set of instructions for completing the activity, and create the Questions and Responses for Multiple Choice testing.
- Title: All Activities have a web page title which is presented at the top of the activity page when displayed in the Learning Environment. This is NOT the same title as the Title that can be set using the Properties Inspector.
- *Instructions:*All Activities have a text area that is presented beneath the title. This is where the main activity text to be displayed to learners is entered. The text can be formatted using the Rich-Text Editor. Image, Video, Audio and URL content can also be displayed in the Instructions area.
- Specific Feature - Questions
- To create a new Question, click "Add Question" at the bottom of the page.
- Question text: This is the actual question to be answered, or the "Stem."
- Choices: The text of each individual answer should be entered in an answer box.
- The correct answer is designated by selecting the "Correct" radio button that corresponds to the correct answer.
- To change the order in which answers are displayed, use the Green up and down arrows.
- To delete an answer, click the Red cross.
- Each question can be allocated a weighting, from 1 to 10.
- Question Feedback: This is optional text that will be shown alongside this question after the "Test" is completed by the Learner.
View of the Multiple Choice Monitoring Advanced tab.
There are several features that are unique to the Multiple Choice Advanced Properties sheet.
- 1 Page Per Question: This feature, when enabled, will cause each Multiple Choice question to appear to Learners one-by-one on seperate pages, instead of as a list of questions on one page. Once all questions have been answered, the summary page will display all of the questions, answers and feedback (if any) on the one screen.
- *Allow Retries:*The check box allows the teacher to set whether learners only get one attempt at the questions or can re-attempt the test. Retries can be linked to a pass mark, which requires learners to acheive a certain score before progressing to the next activity.
- *Add Notebook... :*This option is available on all Activities. Enabling this option creates a Notebook as part of the Activity, which Learner's can use to reflect on the activity just completed. The reflections are personal (ie: not shared with other learners).
View of the Instructions tab. This is the same for all activities.
The Instructions tab contains the same features for all Activities.
It allows the Author to create specific instructions for the activity, as well as upload files that may be useful for running the activity (ie: support documents, etc.). It is a resource that can be used by teachers who are running the sequence for their learners. (In the Monitoring Environment, the Instructions for an Activity can be viewed by double clicking the activity on the Sequence tab and then selecting the Instructions tab.
There are two types of Instruction possible, Offline and Online, depending on the mode that the teacher wishes to run the activity. The feature is useful for teachers who are sharing sequences with their colleagues as it provides an area where the Author can describe any learning objectives and/or the specific purpose of the activity.
Branching Conditions for Multiple Choice
The Multiple Choice tool supports branching based on conditions. No setup is required in Multiple Choice - the condition is available automatically for a Tool Output Based Branching Activity if you have a prior Multiple Choice activity.
Learner's total mark
This condition uses the mark for the final attempt of the questions for a particular learner. This condition is expressed as a number between 0 and the maximum possible score for the particular multiple choice activity.
So for branching, an author could set up conditions so that all users who have 0 to 3 marks on a quiz worth 10 go to one branch, whereas the users who have 4 to 10 marks go to another branch. The marks are checked when the user reaches the branching point.
Internationalisation key (for translators): output.desc.learner.mark
Learner has all answers correct
This condition is a Boolean value, which means it is either TRUE or FALSE. The condition is set to true if the learner has got all the questions in a multiple choice quiz correct, false otherwise.
So for branching, an author could set up conditions so that all users who get 100% go to one branch, whereas the other users go to another branch. The marks are checked when the user reaches the branching point.
Internationalisation key (for translators): output.desc.learner.all.correct