Q & A
The Question and Answer Activity allows teachers to pose a question or questions to learners individually, and after they have entered their response, to see the responses of all their peers presented on a single answer screen.
Comparisons between Q&A Responses can form the basis of further activities.
Authoring Question and Answer
All properties sheets contain three tabs:
- Basic: Which controls the Content of the Activity.
- Advanced: Which controls the Behaviour of the Activity.
- Instructions: Provides information on the structure of the activity.
View of the Q&A Basic tab.
The Basic Tab for the Question and Answer Activity allows you to specify a title for the activity, give learners a set of instructions for completing the activity, as well as define the questions for Learners' to answer.
- Title: All Activities have a web page title which is presented at the top of the activity page when displayed in the Learning Environment. This is NOT the same title as the Title that can be set using the Properties Inspector.
- *Instructions:*All Activities have a text area that is presented beneath the title. This is where the main activity text to be displayed to learners is entered. The text can be formatted using the Rich-Text Editor. Image, Video, Audio and URL content can also be displayed in the Instructions area.
- Specific Features: Questions
- To add a Question to the activity, click +Create New Question
- You can Edit existing questions by clicking hte Yellow Pencil and Delete questions by clicking the Red Cross.
View of the Q&A Advanced tab.
- Show Answers from Other Learners: When enabled, this option allows Learner's to view their peer responses to each question.
- *Show other Learner's name:*Only available when "Show Answers..." is enabled. When this option is enabled, Learner's names will be shown alongside their individual responses on the summary page. When disabled, Learner's will be able to identify their own Answers, but all other contributions will be anonymous.
- Add Notebook... : This option is available on all Activities. Enabling this option creates a Notebook as part of the Activity, which Learner's can use to reflect on the activity just completed. The reflections are personal (ie: not shared with other learners).
- One Question Per Page: When enabled, this option forces each individual question and text entry box in the activity to appear on a seperate page. When disabled, the questions and answer boxes will appear in a vertical list. The default is Disabled.
- Lock When Finished: This option is available on all Activities.
- Enabling this option in Q&A means that Learner's will not be able to revise their answers after they 'Finish' the activity.
- If this option is disabled, Learners will be able to modify their answers for the duration of the sequence.
View of the Instructions tab. This is the same for all activities.
The Instructions tab contains the same features for all Activities.
It allows the Author to create specific instructions for the activity, as well as upload files that may be useful for running the activity (ie: support documents, etc.). It is a resource that can be used by teachers who are running the sequence for their learners. (In the Monitoring Environment, the Instructions for an Activity can be viewed by double clicking the activity on the Sequence tab and then selecting the Instructions tab.
There are two types of Instruction possible, Offline and Online, depending on the mode that the teacher wishes to run the activity. The feature is useful for teachers who are sharing sequences with their colleagues as it provides an area where the Author can describe any learning objectives and/or the specific purpose of the activity.
Monitoring Question and Answer
View of the Chat Monitoring Summary tab.
The Summary Tab for Question and Answer allows Monitors to view all Learner Responses to the questions in the activity with accompanying names, regardless of whether or not the Learner's view the responses anonymously or not.
Monitors can also Edit learner responses, or choose to hide Learner responses from other learners.
In the attached screenshot, the advanced "Reflection" feature has been enabled. "View" links for the Monitor to view these reflections are visible at the bottom of this screenshot.
View of the Chat Monitoring Instructions tab. This screen is the same for all activities.
In the Authoring Environment, Authors can use the Instructions Space to attach support files for a specific activity, or leave comments for othe Monitors about how a given activity should be run.
These comments and files can be viewed from here - the Instructions Tab.
Clicking the Edit Activity button opens a new screen identical to the _'Basic'_tab in the authoring environment. In the current version of LAMS (2.0.4), Editing can only be performed on activities that students have not yet reached.
Unlike Live Edit, this form of Editing can only modify the content of an activity, as opposed to the structure of a sequence.
The Question and Answer Statistics tab shows information about the number of Learners who have attempted and completed the activity.