The Submit Files Activity allows learners to submit one or more files to the LAMS server for review by a teacher. The teacher can then input grades into the system based on these files, which can then be viewed by the learners.
The tool also provides additional features to assist teachers with the marking process. These are available in the Monitoring Environment once a submission has been uploaded. This is further described in Monitoring below.
Authoring Submit Files
All properties sheets contain three tabs:
- Basic: Which controls the Content of the Activity.
- Advanced: Which controls the Behaviour of the Activity.
- Instructions: Provides information on the structure of the activity.
Click to magnify thumbnail
The Basic Tab for the Submit Files Activity allows you to specify a title for the activity, and give learners a set of instructions for completing the activity:
- Title: All Activities have a web page title which is presented at the top of the activity page when displayed in the Learning Environment. This is NOT the same title as the Title that can be set using the Properties Inspector.
- *Instructions:*All Activities have a text area that is presented beneath the title. This is where the main activity text to be displayed to learners is entered. The text can be formatted using the Rich-Text Editor. Image, Video, Audio and URL content can also be displayed in the Instructions area.
- Specific Features: The Submit Files activity has no specific features on the Basic tab.
Click to magnify thumbnail.
- Lock When Finished: This option is available on all Activities. Enabling this option prevents learners from (in this case) adding more files to the activity. Once Learner's click 'Finish', the activity is marked as Read Only for that learner.
- *Limit Number of Files... :*This is a specific option for the Submit Files activity. By enabling this option, you can specify the maximum number of individual files that Learners are permitted to add to the activity. You can specify a limit from 1 to 5.
- Add Notebook... : This option is available on all Activities. Enabling this option creates a Notebook as part of the Activity, which Learner's can use to reflect on the activity just completed. The reflections are personal (ie: not shared with other learners).
View of the Instructions tab. This is the same for all activities.
The Instructions tab contains the same features for all Activities.
It allows the Author to create specific instructions for the activity, as well as upload files that may be useful for running the activity (ie: support documents, etc.). It is a resource that can be used by teachers who are running the sequence for their learners. (In the Monitoring Environment, the Instructions for an Activity can be viewed by double clicking the activity on the Sequence tab and then selecting the Instructions tab.
There are two types of Instruction possible, Offline and Online, depending on the mode that the teacher wishes to run the activity. The feature is useful for teachers who are sharing sequences with their colleagues as it provides an area where the Author can describe any learning objectives and/or the specific purpose of the activity.
Monitoring Submit Files
View of the Submit Files Monitoring Summary tab.
Double Clicking a Submit Files activity on the Sequence tab opens the Summary Screen for the Activity.
The Summary Screen for Submit Files shows the names of the Learners who have uploaded files to the activity, and provides an interface for monitors to assign marks to Learner contributions.
- Mark: Clicking this button allows the Monitor to download or view the Learner submissions and assign a numerical mark for that particular submission.
- View All Marks: This allows the monitor to view all of the marks assigned for each Learner submission. From this screen, the Monitor can also view/download submissions from learners and change the allocated marks.
- Release Marks: The monitor must choose this option in order to allow Learners to view their marks in the Learning environment.
- Download Marks: All marks created through the "Update Marks" tool can be downloaded in Spreadsheet (Excel) format.
View All Marks
Click to enlarge.
Click to enlarge.
View of the Chat Monitoring Instructions tab.
In the Authoring Environment, Authors can use the Instructions Space to attach support files for a specific activity, or leave comments for othe Monitors about how a given activity should be run.
In Submit Files, the Author may suggest instructions for submitting files offline (e.g. a hand written or printed essay) if learners aqnd teachers are more comfortable with that format.
Clicking the Edit Activity button opens a new screen identical to the _'Basic'_tab in the authoring environment. In the current version of LAMS (2.0.4), Editing can only be performed on activities that students have not yet reached.
Unlike Live Edit, this form of Editing can only modify the content of an activity, as opposed to the structure of a sequence.
The Submit Files Summary tab contains information on:
- the number of files that have been marked
- the number of files that have not been marked
- the total number of files uploaded by learners