The Survey Tool is similar to Multiple Choice, in that it presents learners with a number of questions fir responses. However, unlike Multiple Choice there are no right or wrong answers - the system just collates all answers for analysis by the teacher in the monitoring area.
Question types include single response, multiple response and open text entry, and questions can be mandatory or optional.
For multiple choice questions, Learners can also be provided with the option of adding their own answer to a list.
All properties sheets contain three tabs:
- Basic: Which controls the Content of the Activity.
- Advanced: Which controls the Behaviour of the Activity.
- Instructions: Provides information on the structure of the activity.
View of the Survey Activity Basic Authoring tab.
The Basic Tab for the Survey Activity allows authors to specify a title for the activity, and give learners a set of instructions for completing the activity:
- Title: All Activities have a web page title which is presented at the top of the activity page when displayed in the Learning Environment. This is NOT the same title as the Title that can be set using the Properties Inspector.
- *Instructions:*All Activities have a text area that is presented beneath the title. This is where the main activity text to be displayed to learners is entered. The text can be formatted using the Rich-Text Editor. Image, Video, Audio and URL content can also be displayed in the Instructions area. Specifically for the Survey Activity, Authors should include information on the purpose of the survey, and how the data will be used.
- Specific Features: Survey Questions List
- This list specifies the actual questions contained in the survey.
- The links to create new questions are shown at the bottom of the page. To create a Single or Multiple choice question, click "Add question". To add a text response question, click "Add Free Text"
- Use the Green Arrows to change the order in which Survey questions display.
- Use the Yellow Pencil to edit an existing Survey question.
- Select the Red Cross to remove a Survey question from the list.
View of the Survey Activity Advanced Authoring tab.
- Lock When Finished: This option is available on all Activities.
- Enabling this option in Survey means that when Learners answer all the questions and select "Finish", they will be unable to revisit the activity and modify their answers. The Learners will still be able to view the activity and their responses by double-clicking the activity in the Learner Progress Bar.
- If this option is disabled, Learners will be able to return to the activity and change their responses by selecting the activity from the Learner Progress Bar.
- Specific Feature: Show Survey on One Page
- When enabled, this option forces all of the questions in the Survey list to display vertically stacked on the one page. Learners respond to the survey and are then shown a summary screen detailing their responses.
- If disabled, each Survey question will appear on its own seperate page within the activity. After responding to the last survey question, Learners are shown a summary screen detailing all of their responses.
- Add Notebook... : This option is available on all Activities. Enabling this option creates a Notebook as part of the Activity, which Learner's can use to reflect on the activity just completed. The reflections are personal (ie: not shared with other learners).
View of the Instructions tab. This is the same for all activities.
The Instructions tab contains the same features for all Activities.
It allows the Author to create specific instructions for the activity, as well as upload files that may be useful for running the activity (ie: support documents, etc.). It is a resource that can be used by teachers who are running the sequence for their learners. (In the Monitoring Environment, the Instructions for an Activity can be viewed by double clicking the activity on the Sequence tab and then selecting the Instructions tab.
There are two types of Instruction possible, Offline and Online, depending on the mode that the teacher wishes to run the activity. The feature is useful for teachers who are sharing sequences with their colleagues as it provides an area where the Author can describe any learning objectives and/or the specific purpose of the activity.
View of the Survey Monitoring Summary tab.
The Summary Tab for Survey allows Monitors to view and analyse the results of the Survey questions.
For each survey question, the monitor can choose to download either a Pie or Bar graph of the results.
Monitors can also download the results of the survey in a Spreadsheet format.
View of the Monitoring Instructions tab.
In the Authoring Environment, Authors can use the Instructions Space to attach support files for a specific activity, or leave comments for othe Monitors about how a given activity should be run.
These comments and files can be viewed from here - the Instructions Tab.
Clicking the Edit Activity button opens a new screen identical to the _'Basic'_tab in the authoring environment. In the current version of LAMS (2.0.4), Editing can only be performed on activities that students have not yet reached.
Unlike Live Edit, this form of Editing can only modify the content of an activity, as opposed to the structure of a sequence.
The Survey Summary screen simply displays the Learner group for which the sequence has been assigned, and the total number of Learners who have attempted the activity.