The Voting Activity allows teachesr to provide learners with a list of options to "Vote" on. It is similar to the Q&A Activity in that Voting shows first one screen with all the available voting options, then a screen showing the individual learner's selection, then a screen showing "progressive" voting results (i.e., a non-editable screen where learners can see results from themselves and other learners over time).
Finally, there is Summary Screen of group results.
All properties sheets contain three tabs:
- Basic: Which controls the Content of the Activity.
- Advanced: Which controls the Behaviour of the Activity.
- Instructions: Provides information on the structure of the activity.
Click to magnify thumbnail
The Basic Tab for the Voting Activity allows you to specify a title for the activity, give learners a set of instructions for completing the activity, and create Voting nominations that Learners can choose from.
- Title: All Activities have a web page title which is presented at the top of the activity page when displayed in the Learning Environment. This is NOT the same title as the Title that can be set using the Properties Inspector.
- *Instructions:*All Activities have a text area that is presented beneath the title. This is where the main activity text to be displayed to learners is entered. The text can be formatted using the Rich-Text Editor. Image, Video, Audio and URL content can also be displayed in the Instructions area.
- Specific Features - Nominations:
- To Create a new nomination click +Create Nomination.
- To Edit an existing nomination click the Yellow Pencil.
- To change the order in which nominations appear, use the Green Up and Down Arroms.
- To Delete an existing nomination, click the Red Cross.
Click to magnify thumbnail.
- Lock When Finished: This option is available on all Activities.
- Enabling this option in Votingmeans that once Learners have selected their nominations and Click Finish, their Vote is final. Learners can still view the Voting Activity by using the Progress bar.
- If this option is disabled, Learners will be able to change their votes by opening the voting activity through the progress bar. The activity will be accessible until the sequence is stopped by a monitor.
- Allow Text Entry:
- When enabled, this option allows learners to Create and Select their own nomination. Other learners cannot choose this nomination, but can create their own entry to choose.
- If disabled, Learners may only nominate from the choices specified in the authoring environment.
- Add Notebook... : This option is available on all Activities. Enabling this option creates a Notebook as part of the Activity, which Learner's can use to reflect on the activity just completed. The reflections are personal (ie: not shared with other learners).
View of the Instructions tab. This is the same for all activities.
The Instructions tab contains the same features for all Activities.
It allows the Author to create specific instructions for the activity, as well as upload files that may be useful for running the activity (ie: support documents, etc.). It is a resource that can be used by teachers who are running the sequence for their learners. (In the Monitoring Environment, the Instructions for an Activity can be viewed by double clicking the activity on the Sequence tab and then selecting the Instructions tab.
There are two types of Instruction possible, Offline and Online, depending on the mode that the teacher wishes to run the activity. The feature is useful for teachers who are sharing sequences with their colleagues as it provides an area where the Author can describe any learning objectives and/or the specific purpose of the activity.
Annotated view of the Voting Monitor Summary tab.
The Summary Tab for Voting Activities allows Monitors to view statistics about Learner participation in the activity, and also analyse the responses of Learners to the Voting questions.
At the top of the tab is the Group Selection drop down menu. If the Voting activity is modified by a Grouping Object, this menu allows the monitor to view the different result sets for each group, or the collated results from each group. If the Activity is running in whole class mode, there will only be one option available in this menu.
The Summary screen also shows the total number of Learners who have access to the sequence as well as the number of learners who have completed this particular activity.
The last tab section displays all of the voting questions and the accompanying nominations. For each nomination, LAMS shows a percentage of the total votes. The Monitor can also choose to view the results in Bar or Pie chart form, by clicking "View Bar Chart" and "View Pie Chart" respectively.
Annotated view of the Monitoring Instructions tab.
In the Authoring Environment, Authors can use the Instructions Space to attach support files for a specific activity, or leave comments for othe Monitors about how a given activity should be run.
These comments and files can be viewed from here - the Instructions Tab.
Clicking the Edit Activity button opens a new screen identical to the _'Basic'_tab in the authoring environment. In the current version of LAMS (2.0.4), Editing can only be performed on activities that students have not yet reached.
Unlike Live Edit, this form of Editing can only modify the content of an activity, as opposed to the structure of a sequence.
The Voting Summary screen presents a simplified version of the statistics on the Summary page.