The ToolBuilder works by translating files from selected templates using the meta-data that entered in the project wizard. The files are carefully translated so the new tool will be unique and follow the guildelines guidelines outlined in the LAMS Tool Contract. The ToolBuilder is designed so the new tools will will run alonside the other tools in your LAMS environment as soon as they are created. At first, the tool will work as a copy of the tool template that is chosen, so all you will need to do is add your own functionalities to the tool to make it your own.
One of the pieces of information you need is your tool signature. If you are just playing with LAMS then you can make one up. If you are likely to keep the code please contact Fiona Malikoff or Ernie Ghiglione about specifying a tool signature, also make sure you let the community know by posting a message in the LAMS Community. The tool signature is used in naming your database tables and it can be tedious to change once you have a large amount of code. We are not trying to discourage you or control who writes tools - we are just trying to save you having to change working code later!
6. Enter the new project name, this will be the name of the folder that contains the LAMS tool project in eclipse, for example lams_tool_forum
7. Enter the tool signature, the tool signature should follow the form prescribed here.
8. Enter your tool name, this will be used to translate the files in your chosen template.
9. Enter the vendor, this can be the organisation you work for or your name, or whatever you choose to call it.
10. Enter the tool version, this is an 8-digit number representing the date of tool creation in the form YYYYMMDD
11. Enter the minimum LAMS server version, if your tool requires a certain version of LAMS, be sure to enter it here.
12. Select the type of tool you wish to make, LAMS or RAMS.
13. If you don't want the tool to be displayed as a standalone tool in author or learner, select no in the 'Make Tool Visible' box.
14. Clicking 'finish' will start the project creation process, this should take a few moments to finish.