Integrating Blackboard with LAMS
The LAMS2-Blackboard integration was developed with Blackboard Version 7.3 and works on 7.2 and 7.3. Currently it does not work on 7.0 or 7.1. We are trying to create a version that is compatible with 7.1.
It is recommended that LAMS and Blackboard be installed on separate servers to account for the heavy memory requirements of Blackboard and LAMS.
|title||Want to have a look without installing it?|
Try the LAMS2-Blackboard Demo server !
LAMS2 Building Block Installation Animation
Before following the steps below, you might want to have a look at this animation that explains how to Integrate and install the LAMS2 building block in Blackboard 7.
Installation Steps - Blackboard Side
NOTE: You will need to install service pack 3 of SQL Server 2000 if you are using the Windows Server 2003/SQL Server 2000 configuration
Configuring the LAMS Side
- Follow the instructions to install LAMS, it is recommended that you install LAMS and Blackboard on separate servers to account for heavy memory requirements. You can either build LAMS from source or follow the instructions for Window Installers or Unix Installers.
- Login to LAMS as sysadmin.
- Goto Sys Admin->Maintain integrated servers->Add New Server.
- Setup the fields to match those that you put on the Blackboard side
- The id and key should map to the "LAMS SERVER ID" and "LAMS SERVER SECRET KEY" fields respectively on the LAMS properties page in Blackboard (see above).
- Fill in a description of the Blackboard server.
- The "Pefix" field denotes a prefix that will be added to all users from Blackboard, for example if you put bb as the prefix and accessed LAMS with a user called "user", their name in LAMS would be "bb_user".
- The 'disabled' checkbox disables this integration, you can select this later if you wish to disable the connection.
- You can select an existing group to add Blackboard users to, or add a new one.
- Enter the User Information URL, this corresponds to the "USER DATA CALLBACK URL" on the LAMS properties page in Blackboard (see above). Note: if you are using SSL for accessing Blackboard, the URL suggested in Blackboard will probably start with http://myserver:443/. You should replace this will just http://myserver/ (ie remove the :443)
- You can specify a timeout page that LAMS will go to if there is an error.
And you are done! You can now create and access LAMS content from Blackboard.
LAMS 2 Building Block Source Code
The LAMS-Blackboard Integration Building Block source code is available on our CVS server. You can access the source from from cvs by checking out the lams_bb_integration project. The project comes with an ant build script that will compile the code into .war format, then just follow the installation step to install.
Help, Questions, Comments?
If you have any questions or comments, please post them in the LAMS Community Tech Forums
LAMS has been integrated with Blackboard for a long time. Therefore we have several integrations that have been developed according to the Blackboard versions.
Select the Blackboard version: